KryptCrawler, a first-person, grid-based dungeon crawler is out now for Oculus Rift & Samsung Gear.
Crazybunch, with publisher Headup Games, have released their latest VR effort, KryptCrawler – a dungeon crawler which operates on a grid-based combat and movement system.
KryptCrawler is, in many ways, a modernisation of early RPGs like Wizardry which saw players exploring through dungeons cardinal-direction-by-cardinal-direction in the first person perspective. They themselves were evolved from the earliest, text-based adventure titles, albeit with vastly more focus on combat.
In many ways this type of game is perfect for VR due to the movement issues that often break immersion while playing, and due to the turn-based, grid-based movement already inherent in the sub-genre. All of that said, KryptCrawler actually features a real-time combat system, as well as trap evasion.
The game sees players delving through the depths of tombs and crypts in the search of wealth, fame, and artefacts. Players even start out with nothing but a map, meaning that -that bastion of VR interactivity- weapon selection is a major feature of the game as it stands.
Below is the key features for the game, from the game’s store page:
- An unmatched VR dungeon experience: The immersion of modern VR will make you almost smell the moss-covered stonewalls of the underworld
- Survive vicious traps and solve challenging puzzles: Many tests will await you deep down in the crypt, getting more deadly the further you descend into the catacombs.
- Fight off enemies in real time combat: Close combat swordfight, ranged bow mastery and more – which warrior’s path will you choose?
- Innovative battle and movement system using Gear VR Touchpad support as its best: Controls your hero’s fate with only the tip of your fingers.
- Loot weapons and epic treasures: All over the dungeon are powerful weapons and treasures to discover. Some will help you fight ferocious enemies some will even let you unveil new paths deeper into the crypt.
- Hours of content: Fight, puzzle and explore through 10 giant story levels and unveil an ancient secret which lies hidden deep inside the crypt.
KryptCrawler is available now on the Oculus store, and also available for Samsung Gear.