Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition, a streamlined version of the 2016 PC title, is releasing on the 10th of August.
Massive Damage’s Halycyon 6: Starbase Commander launched late last year on PC to decent success. It’s adept combination of base-management and side-on RPG combat -both ground and ship-vs-ship- drew a lot of praise, although the main negative levied against it was that the mid-to-late game became repetitive. Our own Brian said as much in his review from last year.
Where many developers would have been happy with the sales and be content to plod on, possibly addressing the issues in future releases, Massive Damage have instead accepted the feedback and worked on a revised version of the game which addresses the raised negatives. This new iteration is the Lightspeed Edition, and will be a free update for any current owners when the revision rolls out on the 10th of August.
Improved features in the new version include:
- Streamlined Campaign greatly speeds up progression and tightens the campaign to an action and adventure packed 12 hrs depending on your play style and pace
- Streamlined All Systems for faster progression, including economy, starbase, resources, and officer levelling.
- New Officer Progression System with 6 subclasses, 3 Prestige classes, new skill tree, and over 20+ new Prestige/Epic powers.
- New Ship Loadout and Config screen will let you customize loadouts (and save them) for your ships just before entering combat
- New Difficulty Mode called Vice Admiral and slightly increased difficulty across the board
- Enhanced Combat includes 25+ new alien faction space combat abilities, more combos for both players and enemies, increased faction weaknesses and resistances, and other balancing tweaks
- New UI Overhaul designed for greater readability and usability. Many quality of life enhancements to all areas of the game, too many to list here.
In addition to the news of the release date and features update, the developers also released a new trailer, which you can find below.
Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition will be available on Steam from the 10th of August for Windows PC, Mac & Linux.