Kitsune Games have confirmed the release date and price for their upcoming possession-based dungeon-crawler MidBoss.
MidBoss sees you playing as a humble imp, the lowliest of the low when it comes to expendable minions, in your master’s dungeon. Fed up with being pushed around by the other minions, even the bats, you rise up to fight your way into the depths of the dungeon and become something vastly more respectable, a dungeon boss.
You’ll achieve -well, you almost certainly won’t at first, as it’s a roguelike, you’ll probably die a lot- this through defeating your former allies and absorbing their powers and form. As you level you can use the accrued powers in a variety of ways -there’s over 60- and can improve your character through traditional levelling in order to further enhance your effects while wearing the skin of your fallen foes.
As with roguelike tradition the game is turn-based, and features procedurally generated floors, it’s also features perma-death.
If it’s all a bit too tough, you can vary the gameplay with a decent variety of gameplay options (you can see a glimpse of them in the below gameplay trailer) — which also serves to add some extra variety and replayability to the game.
Here’s the features list from the Steam page:
- Possess your enemy and gain their strengths and skills with over 60 unique abilities to discover and learn.
- Permanent death, if you die your save is gone!
- Randomized potions every game. Who knows what’s in these mystery bottles! (optional)
- Traps as well as unidentified and cursed items.
- Dynamic music system that ups the musical excitement when enemies are about.
- Quick Play mode for shorter, more condensed play sessions.
- Custom Games so you can play the game exactly the way you want to.
- Shareable death cards document your run and how it ended. Load these in the game for stats or to play using the same seed and settings. Customize your cards with unlockable themes!
- Spend death cards to start your next run with items you had when you died.
- Beat the game and get a special card which unlocks a new game+ mode. Start over with your items, abilities, or both!
- Lots of crates, chests, and other containers to pillage. Find the royal chest that spawns on every floor for extra sweet loot!
- Playable with mouse and/or keyboard. Pick whatever control scheme you like!
- Color-blind modes, optional high contrast font, and adjustable brightness.
- Multiple monitor support and borderless windowed fullscreen.
- 12 retro mode filters to find and unlock.
MidBoss will launch on Steam for PC, Mac & Linux on the 25th of May. It’ll retail for $14.99, or local currency.
It’s is already available through the developer’s Itch.io page.